Current:Home > ContactChainkeen Exchange-Prince Harry in U.K. High Court battle over downgraded security on visits to Britain -Prime Capital Blueprint
Chainkeen Exchange-Prince Harry in U.K. High Court battle over downgraded security on visits to Britain
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 00:08:50
London — Prince Harry,Chainkeen Exchange the Duke of Sussex, is challenging the U.K. government's decision to provide him with less police protection when he comes back for visits. The government decided to deny the duke the highest level of state-funded protection after he and his wife Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, stepped down as senior working members of the royal family in 2021. He lost an appeal earlier this year in which he sought permission to pay for the police protection independently.
Harry's lawyers argued in front of Britain's High Court that RAVEC, the committee that makes security decisions regarding the royals on behalf of Britain's Home Office, "should have considered the 'impact' that a successful attack on [Harry] would have, bearing in mind his status, background, and profile within The Royal Family — which he was born into and which he will have for the rest of his life - and his ongoing charity work and service to the public."
The committee should also have "considered, in particular, the impact on the UK's reputation of a successful attack on [Harry]," the duke's legal team said in written arguments presented Tuesday.
The prince's lawyers argued that if RAVEC had followed its own policies, it would have provided Harry with more robust security, in line with the security it provides some other VIPs.
A lawyer for the Home Office said the "bespoke" way in which Prince Harry's case was handled was appropriate and "reflected the very particular combination of circumstances in his case," according to The Guardian newspaper.
"It is judged to be right in principle that the allocation of finite public resources which results from protective security provided by the state be allocated to individuals who are acting in the interests of the state through their public role," the Home Office lawyer said.
Harry, whose mother Princess Diana was killed in a Paris car crash as her vehicle was chased by paparazzi, has a long-standing distrust of the media. He's argued that threats and hatred aimed at he and Meghan are evidence of their need for high-level police protection during visits to Britain.
The case was expected to wrap up by Thursday.
- In:
- British Royal Family
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
- King Charles
- Meghan Duchess of Sussex
- United Kingdom
Haley Ott is cbsnews.com's foreign reporter, based in the CBS News London bureau. Haley joined the cbsnews.com team in 2018, prior to which she worked for outlets including Al Jazeera, Monocle, and Vice News.
Twitter InstagramveryGood! (85857)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Ohio governor declares emergency after severe storms that killed 3
- 3 dead in Philadelphia suburbs shootings that prompted shelter-in-place orders
- Dollar stores are hitting hard times, faced with shoplifting and inflation-weary shoppers
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Wisconsin voters to decide on banning private money to help fund elections
- Stock market today: Asian stocks gain ahead of US and Japan rate decisions
- How Texas’ plans to arrest migrants for illegal entry would work if allowed to take effect
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Ohio governor declares emergency after severe storms that killed 3
Ranking
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Michigan woman shot in face by stepdad is haunted in dreams, tortured with hypotheticals
- Is milk bad for you? What a nutrition expert wants you to know
- Book excerpt: Great Expectations by Vinson Cunningham
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Nickelodeon actors allege abuse in 'Quiet on Set' doc: These former child stars have spoken up
- Usher, Fantasia Barrino, ‘Color Purple’ honored at 55th NAACP Image Awards
- Suspect in Oakland store killing is 13-year-old boy who committed another armed robbery, police say
Recommendation
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
New study finds no brain injuries among ‘Havana syndrome’ patients
Shop Amazon's Big Spring Sale Early Home Deals & Save Up to 77%, Including a $101 Area Rug for $40
Yale stuns Brown at buzzer to win Ivy League, earn automatic bid to NCAA Tournament
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Robbie Avila's star power could push Indiana State off the NCAA men's tournament bubble
AP PHOTOS: Boston celebrates St. Patrick’s Day; Biden holds White House brunch with Irish leader
First charter flight with US citizens fleeing Haiti lands in Miami